Sign this charter from CRY – Child Rights and You. It asks you to pledge on the following bare minimum acts you can do for your own bid to help girl child:
I will take action myself
- I will not accept or perpetuate any reasoning based on myths or cultural norms and rituals that see a girl child as a liability to the family, and in a way become cause for social evils and crimes such as foeticide.
- I will not employ any girl or boy of less than 18 years as domestic help, or in any occupation that deprives them of the right to education, play & social life.
- I will ensure that all girls in my family & those I know have equal access to quality education and development opportunities to be economically independent and are able to participate in all the decisions that are significant to their lives.
- Acknowledging that all kinds of physical, sexual & emotional abuse on the girl child are perpetrated by close relatives, friends and acquaintances of the child, I will be vigilant towards realizing the right to protection of all children and promise to strongly voice issues that are silenced or ignored by not considering them a taboo.
- I will not participate in any marriage ceremonies or rituals in which a girl under the age of 18 years or a boy under the age of 21 years is getting married.
- I will respect and realize every girl child’s right to food & nutrition.